Thursday, March 10, 2011

SSA

I don't know if any of the very few of you who read this blog will care, but I have to "talk" this out. Just for myself.  It kind of relates to Mormonism, so whatever.  I'm posting it.

I think I'm gay.
I'm going to continue this discussion in list form so I can try to make some sense out of my confusion.

Reasons I think I'm a lesbian:
1.  I've never been very interested in boys or dating.   When I was younger I thought this was because I was just more mature than my friends.  I thought that I just realized there was more to life than being bf/gf for a week or two.  When I got older (mind you I'm only 18, so when I say "older" I mean senior year and right out of high school) it became more obvious to me that wanting a relationship wasn't necessarily immature.  While getting a boyfriend not being my top priority was fine, not seeing a relationship anywhere in the distant future was not.  But I mostly concluded that I was just independent.
2.  When I did like boys, I was able to intellectualize it.  I used to literally make pro and cons charts for boys and choose who to have a "crush" on.  It also seemed like my motivation for liking boys was to fit in and have something to gossip about with my girl friends. As recently as last November at BYU I pretended to be interested in this guy so I could bond with my roommates.
3.  I have always thought females were better than males. In every way.  Since elementary school I've been confident that girls were generally smarter, pretty, nicer, and more interesting than boys.  And growing up Mormon, that's a difficult conclusion to come to.  I remember once reading a magazine article about a woman's coming out story where she said "I grew up thinking that all girls wanted to marry girls, but they married boys because they were supposed to do."  I thought yes. That's exactly how I feel.

However, I'm not entirely sure, for the following reasons:
1. I've never kissed a boy.  Or a girl.   While I've had a few quasi-relationships (we both like each other and both know it, we flirt all the time, dance together at dances, but aren't "official"), I've only had one "real" relationship, and it was long-distance.  And again, the furthest I've ever gotten was holding hands. And obviously I've never been in any kind of romantic or sexual situation with a girl.  So how would I know? It seems like I really don't have enough evidence to draw a conclusion.
2.  I could still see enjoying being in a relationship with a guy.  He would have to be just right, but I can picture it happening.
3.  I've thought about it a lot before (now that might be evidence that I'm gay), but I've always decided that I'm straight.  Of course, when I believed in the church I probably wouldn't have been honest with myself.  But I've known the church isn't true for about 10 months now, and I've tried to be very open-minded and real.  When I first left the church, I basically said, "Hey, Subconscious,  It turns out you never really believed in the LDS church.  Anything else you wanna tell me?  Now's the time.  Am I gay?  Conservative? Left-handed?  I'm listening now. Tell me the truth."  And I genuinely thought I was straight.  So why am I having a crisis all of a sudden?

Let me just tell you why.  On Tuesday (incidentally, National Women's Day), I was watching Oprah with my sister.  It was the episode about "teen heartthrobs."  I was looking at all the celebrities they were talking about and just couldn't relate with what they were saying.   None of the men they were showing looked appealing, but they were supposed to be gorgeous.  I'd never obsessed over a male singer or actor like that.  Oprah was uniting some women with their celebrity crushes, so I asked my sister who hers would be.  "Gene Kelly or Marlon Brando,"  she said, laughing.  "I don't think they'd be able to get them on the show, though. What about you?"
"...Tina Fey." It was seriously the only answer I could come up with.  We laughed it off, but inside it finally hit me: I don't view men the same way other girls do.  I see things differently.  I'm different.

The more time passes, the more I'm pretty sure that I am gay.  Which should be fine, except for the following reasons:
1. I JUST GOT OVER A MAJOR LIFE CHANGE/IDENTITY CRISIS.  Seriously, do I have to go through this again? Less than a year ago I was a straight Mormon.  Why is this happening again?!
2.  I the kind of person who likes to be included.  I really don't like feeling left out.  But unfortunately, I have been for much of my life for various reasons.  Being gay would be just another thing to make me different.
3.  People will think that's why I left the church.  I don't need to tell y'all, but I very seriously thought I was straight when I reached that decision.  I reached the verdict that the church wasn't true based on historical reasons.  While the churches stance on gays did bother me, it really wasn't the reason I left.  But if I suddenly come out, all the TBMs are gonna think "Oh. She's one of those.  We don't have to take her opinions seriously anymore."  It's like when Mormons assume apostates just wanted to rationalize their sinning.  I don't want to be a stereotype.  I want people to believe me when I say that I'm sure the church isn't true.

So.  You may or may not be wondering why I can't talk to any real people about this.  The person I'm closest to and trust the most in the world is my sister.  I know she's gay-affirming or whatever even though she's a TBM, but she's said some things recently that make me think that she's not very fond of lesbians specifically.  I'm pretty sure she would react weirdly if I told her.  I have another close friend with a similar problem.  Fine with gay men, but grossed out by lesbians.  Whatever.  I actually do have a very close friend who is bisexual, but I cannot trust her with a secret.  I just can't.  Love her to death, but girl can't keep her mouth closed.  I have a few more fairly good friends with the same issue.  I definitely don't want this getting all around town before I'm ready.  My parents are both ok with gays (even though my mom is a TBM), but I don't want to talk to them about it.  Certainly not while I'm still deciding.  There's no way I'm having an in-depth conversation about my sexual preferences with my parents. And if/when I decide that I am a lesbian, I still feel weird about letting them know.  I'm sure they would be supportive, but I'm kind of worried about them being... too supportive.  If that makes sense.  My mom is the type of person who would "say my DAUGHTER is gay!" to any homophobe who will listen.  I just don't want her taking control of this.  I hope that makes sense.  And, again, the idea of talking to my parents about who I'm sexually attracted to makes me uncomfortable.

So, anyway.  There it is.  I doubt even a handful of people will read all the way to the end, but if you did, please comment.  I'd appreciate some input.  But if not it's whatev.  Writing it out helped a lot.

3 comments:

  1. I think you're at the beginning of a long process of figuring out what you really want in this life. The good news is that you're young and have plenty of time to sort through things. The bad news is that there is no set formula to get from point A to point B. I think the best way to approach things it to make some new friends (that are gay & gay-affirming) which you can then use to explore and form natural relationships with. While most members of the church have surprised me with how positive their reactions have been, I still think it's wise to wait until you have a more firm idea of your future before you start telling family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so could have written this post about a year and half ago this is where I was at.

    I even did this whole thing in the same order you did. My crisis of faith and loss of belief happened before coming out to myself too. In all honesty I watch a lot of people grappled with both at the same time and I am glad that I only took on one at time. To be honest without the beliefs it was a lot easier for me to accept that I am gay. My brain could not have handled belief in the church and being gay. They were/are so contradictory in toooo many ways.

    Growing up I went through a similiar process. All my friends were interested in boys, in talking to boys, in finding ways to include boys in our group... Any "crushes" I developed on boys were because I worked at it. I made that crush happen. So I really relate to what you were talking about on that front.

    I have yet to have any sort of sexual experience beyond holding hands with another girl, but once I came out to myself and started watching myself and my thoughts it became more obvious.

    I would sit in a coffee shop and evaluate afterwards who I had noticed. (Noticed simply meaning who do I remember, or who did I pay attention to.) 9 times out of 10 I could recall several women and almost never found myself even paying attention to men at all. They are there but I ignore them...

    Sexual attraction is really only a part of it. Who are your friends? Who do you relate to? Who do you find yourself wanting to hang out with? At a party or social event do you even want to talk to guys?

    Some lesbians really freak me out, but the longer I am out the more that I find there are several of us that look and act like normal people. Many lesbians do not fit the stereotypes. The problem is that we often blend in and don't recognize each other.

    Give yourself some time and space and try to just observe your own behavior. You might not be gay...

    I have really rambled a lot here... Sorry. If you ever have questions or want to chat let me know. ibamosaserreinas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was directed to your blog and wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I also had a similar journey, where I lost faith in the church and then began questioning my sexuality.

    I REALLY related to your statement, "1. I JUST GOT OVER A MAJOR LIFE CHANGE/IDENTITY CRISIS. Seriously, do I have to go through this again? Less than a year ago I was a straight Mormon. Why is this happening again?!" I am still going through this second crisis, I am married and have a child. But I am out to my family (wife and kid, as well as parents and siblings) and things are definitely getting better as time moves on.

    The great thing about losing faith in Mormonism is that you can now be free to be whoever you want to be without worrying about "eternal repercussions". It's not easy, but its worth it ;)

    ReplyDelete